Saint Urbano Abbey lays in the middle of the beautiful San Clemente Valley. It is the valley of Esinante, a little brook starting near the San Vicino mountain and reaching the Esino river near Serra San Quirico.
Hidden among the mountains and pretty unknown, this valley preserves many historical and natural treasures.
San Clemente Valley has been inhabited before the Roman era, by tribes of Piceni, Sanniti, Etruschi and Senons Gauls. In the Roman times, many strategic locations of this valley where flowering Villas and villages. Among these Cingoli has given birth to Tito Labieno, lieutenant of Giulio Cesare during the conquer of Gallia. Serra San Quirico was the castrum that controlled the way that, coming from Flaminia then from Rome, led to the Adriatic Sea. Jesi, with its villas, was a large Roman economic center that thrived along the Vallesina, taking advantage of the road that led to the sea and the Port of Ancona, a fundamental port for Rome. We recall that Trajan’s expedition for the Dacia departed from here, from which the famous Traiano Arch commemorating the Port itself.
With the collapse of the Roman Empire, the whole area crashed because of the continuing invasions before and then political turbulences (Guelfs and Ghibellines), until the final annexation to the Pontifical Territories in 1447.To witness the importance of the Valley and of the Abbey in the XII and XIII centuries, was the fact that Frederick the II, born in Jesi on December 26, 1194, sent the Vicar of the Court to the Abbey of Sant’Urbano.
Staring from the VII century, many monastic communities began to inhabit the valleys of Esino and Musone, leaving an incredible heritage of churches and Abbeys.
Particularly in the Valley of San Clemente there is a triptych of Benedictine Abbeys of great historical and architectural value: Saint Elena Abbey, situated at the confluence of the Esinante with the Esino, the Abbey of Saint’Urbano and the Val di Castro Abbey at the foot of San Vicino Mountain.In addition to the Abbeys, numerous castles stood up to defend the territory and the interests of the Feudatarians, including abbots. On several occasions and with alternate events, the Castles were subjected to the free Jesi Commune (remember that the most famous white wine in the area still symbolizes this union: the Verdicchio of the Castles of Jesi).
Since the beginning vacated to agriculture, this valley’s landscape is designed by the history and by the love of the land of generations of farmer families and their traditions.